My husband Mike was diagnosed with Parkinsons about 4 years ago. He has always been such a healthy man, it was a big shock. He is 55 now & doing pretty well with his medications. It’s still hard on him some days, he can’t get out of a chair or he is just so tired he has to go to bed at 6-7pm. His friend gave him a lift chair & it’s a wonderful thing!

We found out about 2 months ago (after I bugged him to see his Dr for blood tests) He now has Prostate Cancer. Its very early, just in a few cells. The Dr feels certain he can get it all by doing a prostatectomy. He doesn’t think Mike will need any other treatment. We will go to Vanderbilt hospital in Nashville on Monday,May 23rd. The surgery is Tuesday at noon.

I know with Mike’s Parkinsons it will be a slower recovery time, I would appreciate any advise on how I can help him in his recovery. My husband has always been such a strong man & I just hate seeing him so sad & helpless.

7 Responses to Lori Y – husband, parkinson’s, prostate cancer

1. Lori Y says:

I want to thank everyone for the Good Luck & well wishes. Mike is GREAT! We had wonderful care at Vanderbilt & he did perfect! He was a little slow waking up but thats not unusual for Parkinsons people. We are home now & my daughter (a hospice nurse) is here for few days to teach me all the tricks & ways to care for him. I am really in awe of how caregivers can do this everyday & all the time. It’s just unbelieveable. Again, Thank you all.
    Lori Y.

• char says:

Wonderful news, thank you for the update. How amazing to have a daughter that is a hospice angel, she has my admiration. My best to both your husband and daughter, and try to get a little rest in for yourself, you will be a great caregiver.

• Mary R. says:

Great news Lori! I’m so happy for you and Mike!

2. Karen says:

Hi Lori, first, that is very good news that he is doing so well with managing his Parkinson’s with the meds he’s on and that the prostate cancer was thankfully, caught early. Of course, given the circumstances of not being his old healthy self anymore, it’s completely understandable that he’s so sad and stressed about his condition. I came across an inspiring caregiver quote the other day, maybe this will help:
    “You can learn new things at any time in your life if you’re willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.” – Barbara Sher
    Your husband is still young at age 55 and we’re never too old to learn new things anyways if we’re open to that. My aunt, for example, took up painting later in life after she retired from interior design having never painted previously. Well, she’s been doing it for 15+ years now and she has become really good at it and enjoys it very much. That’s just an example; she came from a creative background so that was where her interests were. Now my parents after they retired used to love to play the game RummyQ together and with friends and family. That game went everywhere with them and we all had to learn to play it! It was a form of relaxation for them. So maybe something new to get him excited about learning or doing something different and fun for him depending on his tastes to help take his mind off his worries will help him.
    I hope he feels better soon and his treatments get him healthier and on the path to healing both mentally and physically.
    You both take care of yourselves and one another. He is a blessed man to have such a caring and devoted wife in you Lori and please keep us posted on his condition, Karen

3. Char says:

Hi Lori,
    Catching prostate cancer early is a good thing. Even thou Mike has a slower healing capacity, just able to have the surgery is a good thing, and believe me, if the doctors thought it was a problem he would not have been a candidate for the surgery. My husband, Rich was diagnosed 4 years ago with early stage just a few cells too. Due to his compromised health, (diabetes,rheumatoid arthritis and cardiac ) he was not a candidate for the surgery, and his only treatment option was radiation. Lori, believe me I know how difficult it can be, rest assured we are here for you. I hope you will come back and let us know how it goes on Tuesday, and I know the waiting is horrible, it might be the hardest. Seeing him so sad, and upset not to mention worried, is very difficult. Try your best to be positive, his recovery might be slow at the beginning, but everything takes time, let him know daily how well you feel he is progressing. BUT at the same time, please try to take a moment for you, OK?

4. Melisa says:

Hi Lori, You are one beautiful warm soul. You have taken the first step and a great one just by writing and reaching out on this site. One thing that has helped both me & Dan as we go through his different recoveries and my post traumatic stress is to have something planned to look forward to, within reason of course. Once you get back home and settled and know what your schedules are like, plan something. Even if it is a drive to one of your favorite places. Please do keep us all posted. With love, Melisa

5. Jean F says:

Lori, first of all, congratulations on “bugging” your husband so effectively. I know it doesn’t feel like it right now, but catching Mike’s prostate cancer so early is cause for celebration. Each person handles illness differently, but I think it’s probably quite common (and normal) for a person to feel sad and helpless after a diagnosis of cancer, especially when they’re already dealing with a major illness. And I swear, the waiting is the hardest part – whether you’re waiting for test results or a procedure, the not-knowing is mentally exhausting. So hopefully once the procedure is behind you both, you can breathe a sigh of relief and Mike will feel more positive.

All I can think to say right now is, give Mike every opportunity to feel strong and in control. Anything he can do, whether it’s opening a jar or reaching something too high up for you, let him do it. If he fixes something for you, let him know how happy you are to have such a smart, capable man around the house. Don’t feel like you have to be the strong one all the time, it’s okay to let him see that you’re frightened and allow him to comfort you. Give him every opportunity to be your hero and your rock, and praise him for his strengths, whatever form they take. Once he’s back home, keep up your excellent “bugging” and take a walk with him every day, which will get you both back in shape and help your minds as well. Good luck on Monday, and come back and let us know how you’re both doing. ~ Jean